Best PSVR games of 2017

News relating to anything VR
The Ninja
Site Admin

Best PSVR games of 2017

Post by The Ninja » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:28 pm

2017 was a great year for Sony and for PSVR owners. I am overwhelmed with great content and It's been difficult trying to keep up. Regardless I'm excited and can't imagine what 2018 will bring. To start the new year I've compiled a list of must own PSVR games released in 2017. This list is in no particular order. I know I am missing a few really good titles that I have yet to get around to. Feel free to enlighten us in the comments.

SUPERHOT VR

This game will be considered a classic of the VR age, like Pac man and Asteroids were of the 80s. There is nothing not to like about this game. There's a slight psycological learning curve, getting used to seeing bullets fly at your head killing you. It took my brain a couple hours of gameplay to settle down and realize "These bullets are not going to kill you."

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR

Obviously this goes without saying. This is one of the first massive world simulations in virtual reality. The first on PSVR at least. There's something in this game for everyone. People who love stories, short stories. People who love action and combat, people who loves to explore. I dreamt of Skyrim VR before it was announced and tested it with Trinus VR on my phone with my PC, just to get a feel of what it would be like, so when I heard Bethesda was making it a virtal reality I was pretty excited. They did a fantastic job with this port.

The Solus Project

This was considered a "Skyrim cock tease" by many. But after playing both, The Solus Project holds it's own weight, and even excels in a lot of ways. When I first played this game I felt like I was on the show "Naked and Afraid", which is a good thing because it's one of the only shows I still watch on basic cable. And it has a real survival feel to it, not in a horror way, but a creepy way, and it does a great job. I have yet to finish this game but I badly want to.

Mortal Blitz

When you hear Mortal Blitz a lot of people think Time Crisis. And I do too but comparing the two games is like comparing a Tamagotchi to a real live pet. I wasn't a big Time Crisis fan, sure it was fun for 5 minutes at the arcade till I died. but Mortal Blitz is a completely different experience. It's very immersive and requires physical techniques like taking cover to avoid death and to get shots in. The campaign is short but each level is unique and fun and for the price, more than fair. There is DLC on the way which I'm looking forward to.

Megaton Rainfall

This is a game I will never forget. Just thinking about loading it up is exciting. Although not perfect, what it managed to accomplish is very impressive. Megaton Rainfall gives you the feeling of true freedom, being able to fly around the entire planet and explore solor system, galaxies, and universe. And that's just a side note to the game. The main gameplay focuses on combat, fighting robot alien invaders on earth. The combat is challenging and takes strategy because you can destroy an entire skyscraper by mistake, killing thousands of innocent lives ending your career as a omnipotent superhero. It's a fantastic game and a fantastic experience.

Polybius

When I was introduced to video games for the first time as a child through the NES, Polybius was the type of game I subconsciously craved. I craved it until I became an adult, discovered VR, and found a very obscure game named Polybius on the PS store for a small price and small file size. The rest is history (if you've read my Polybius review). Although I'm not a Polybius grand master YET (can't get to 13 in YOLO still, fuck me.) it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Sparc

As someone who hates professional sports, the idea of virtual reality sports is a very intriguing to me, because I get to BE the player instead of a spectator. It promotes exercise particularly cardio, which lets face it, a lot of gamers could use. On a side note Holoball is an amazing game released in 2016 which I consider to be Sparc's offline brother.

And these obviously go without saying. Ironically I have yet to put a decent amount of time in them for various reasions, but I want to and will complete them in the near future

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard

As an old school Resident Evil fan, it's more true to the series than any game since RE4, and it's pretty fucking scary. The lack of zombies is disapointing, but atleast the game is a real survival horror game and not an action shooter.

Farpoint

This game with the gun is amazing. It brings the immersion to a whole different level. I am not a huge fan of the "only forward" method they used, but it's a minor complaint. This game is amazing from what I've played. Looking forward to trying out the new online PvP mode.

2016 shout outs

Werewolves Within

With the role-book-glitch lasting months and severing the playerbase (it's been fixed) and the release of Rec Room, Werewolves Within is not getting as much attention as it used to. And that's a shame because it's a fantastic and chill game. I say chill because there's literally no gameplay mechanics, and while that might scare you away that's one of the things that makes it so great. The gameplay is a group of people playing a social game. It's fun to just talk to people, and play a game in between. I hope they update and breathe new life into this game to keep it relevant, but this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I am not very hopeful.

Driveclub VR

Driveclub VR is the most underrated mainstream game in the PSVR catalog. The slap in the face known as "Gran Turismo Sport" has a lot to do with that. Even if you don't enjoy racing games, don't pass this title up so quickly. The time trials are great for chilling out. The replay rewind feature is great for showing VR to friends and family, and for car/racing lovers. Something about sitting in the passenger seat of a crazy race is adrenaline pumping, a different adrenaline rush than when you're in control doing the driving. Playing around with different cars, checking out their exteriors and interiors and seeing how they drive is an absolute blast. Like I said with Werewolves, I hope Sony breathes new life into this game. At least there's some hope with Sony.

phpbb 3 theme phpbb32 3.2 styles themes templates